THE IMPACT OF WEIGHT LOSS MEDICATIONS ON FACIAL AESTHETICS IS FREQUENTLY OVERLOOKED.
Diabetes medications such as Ozempic and Wegovy have become popular for weight loss. Simulair medications include Mounjaro, Trulicity, and Saxenda.
Weight loss is often celebrated for its numerous health benefits, including reduced risk of chronic diseases and improved overall well-being. Medications like Ozempic and Wegovy have been sought out for their associated weight loss. However, one aspect that is frequently overlooked is the impact of weight loss on facial aesthetics. Shedding excess pounds can lead to facial hollowing and loss of volume, causing individuals to appear older and tired.
When an individual loses a significant amount of weight, it affects the distribution of fat in the body, including the face. Facial fat pads, which contribute to a youthful and plump appearance, may diminish with weight loss. Additionally, the reduction in overall body fat can lead to a decrease in subcutaneous fat beneath the skin, resulting in a hollowed and deflated look.
Loss of volume in the mid-face is particularly common after the use of Ozempic or Wegovy. Fat deposits in the cheeks and around the eyes diminish. These physiological changes can be disheartening for individuals who are excited about their weight loss goals but left with facial features that do not reflect their newfound vitality.
PLASTIC SURGERY SOLUTIONS:
Plastic surgery offers effective solutions to address the facial effects of weight loss, helping individuals regain confidence in their appearance. Some common procedures that target facial hollowing and volume loss include:
- Facial Fat Grafting
– This procedure involves harvesting fat from one part of the body (through liposuction) and injecting it into areas of the face that have lost volume.
– Facial fat grafting not only restores volume but also improves skin texture and stimulates collagen production, resulting in a more natural and long-lasting rejuvenation.
- Dermal Fillers
– Injectable dermal fillers, such as hyaluronic acid-based products, can be strategically injected to replenish lost volume. Common areas to target are the cheeks and nasal labial lines.
– These fillers provide immediate results with minimal downtime, making them a popular choice for individuals seeking a non-surgical approach to facial rejuvenation.
- Facelift Surgery
– Facelift surgery addresses sagging skin, excess fat, and muscle laxity in the lower face and neck.
– By lifting and repositioning tissues, a facelift can restore a more youthful contour to the face and neck, effectively reversing the signs of aging associated with weight loss.
Medical weight loss though Ozempic and Wegovy is rapidly gaining popularity. However, the associated loss of facial volume can lead to unwanted changes in facial aesthetics. Facial hollowing can be effectively addressed through various procedures including facial fat grafting, dermal fillers, and facelift surgery.